Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fun Time Had by All!


Horned Frog fact #7: "Unlike other lizards, horned lizards have wide, flat bodies that come in handy for camouflage and burrowing.  They have various spines on their bodies and a crown of horns on the back of their heads."


We went to Kathleen's swimmeet yesterday for about half of it.  She did a great job!!  Don't know how she finished up so will need to call her later and see.  It was good to see everyone.  Andrea was there to cheer her niece on and we got to see Colin's new braces which he just got last Thursday.  Then Dick and I went to Fort Worth to get  our H1N1 shots at Cook Childrens....quite a few people there.  We ate lunch at Mimi's Cafe on the way home to use my coupon!

It is still cold here although sunny which makes the cold not so bad...better than cloudy days.  One or two more days of it then a little milder with rain next week.

A few months ago I checked "The Widows of Eastwick" out at our local library.  It was John Updike's last book...it was published 2008 and he died early 2009.  It was pretty good but alluded to a lot  events from the first book on the subject...."The Witches of Eastwick", published 1984, which I had not read.  So I decided to check that novel out to fill in some of the blanks in the "Widows.."  I finished it yesterday; it was not as good.  I think Updike improved quite a bit in the 25 years between, but it did answer some of the gaps.  It was kind of interesting to see some of the current events from that era...Vietman War, use of a wonderful new machine to replace the typewriter called a word processer and cell phones were not even used at all then.  Any way, I am taking a directive from Andrea's blog and writing about books/authors as I finish them.

1 comment:

  1. The swim meet was fun, wasn't it? Stayed to the end and then had a bit to eat with the kids before heading back over to this side of town. I might have to put some Updike on my list of authors to read...

    ReplyDelete