Thursday, December 8, 2016

WW....And A Bad Five Minutes!

“Hope is the power of being cheerful in circumstances that we know to be desperate.” 
― G.K. Chesterton

Weight Watcher LOGO
     About 25 years ago, I lost 30+ pounds on the Weight Watcher plan.  Once I had made my goal weight, I quit going to the meetings.  Gradually through the years, I put about 20 pounds back on.  Then six-seven years ago, I was diagnosed with Diabetes II.  So I signed up for the diabetic dietary classes given at Harris Southwest.  I was pleasantly surprised to discover that their outlook towards weight loss and weight control was very similar to the WW plan.
      Once again, I lost the same 20 pounds again....and kept it off for quite awhile. Then Dick got sick; we moved from our country home back into the city to my current condo.  While taking care of Dick my eating habits kind of dissolved! After he passed away, I had a great deal of time to fill. I am surrounded by restaurants and great friends who like to eat out! So on came the pounds again! And I decided to go back to Weight Watchers.
       I have been going for about five months now and back down to my goal weight of 25 years ago. The difference is....I am going to continue to go to the meetings! It is close to my home and the meeting I go to has a really great leader!  Her name is Susan and she is so funny yet sincere in what her people are achieving.  The program is really easier to do than it was last time I did it.  It is recommended you keep track of what you eat and the company has gone viral...they have an app to  use on the phone...so easy to keep track of points.  There is even a scanner on the app that I can use in the grocery store to scan a bar code and it will tell me just how many points a food is.  Practically ever well-known restaurant is listed with menus telling what each item is worth in WW points.  You would be amazed at what some foods are in points!
      And the meetings are good for emotional support too.  I went last night to my usual meeting and was pleased that I am maintaining my weight loss (another incentive is, once one has reached their goal, the meetings are FREE! I just have to weigh in once a month or more if I wish, and stay within my goal to keep the free status.)  Last night this one member was telling about a quote she had seen somewhere and put on her fridge..."So you have had a bad day?   Did you really have a bad day, or did you have a bad five minutes which YOU milked into a bad day?"  I love that statement!  The idea being don't let a bad five minutes drag you into a bad day...put it behind you! Move on!!!
     

4 comments:

  1. Every time I think of going back to WW or even watching my carbs, I plan on starting the next day or the next week, which never arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you Jay, on your weight loss and maintaining. I love the quote, and am putting it on my computer post it notes that greet me everyday. Pass a "thank you" on to that member for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice, Jay! I need to remember it when I feel a bad day coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that point!! Congrats, also!

    ReplyDelete