Saturday, November 19, 2016

The First Day


“Write it on your heart

that every day is the best day in the year.
He is rich who owns the day, and no one owns the day
who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety.



Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a new day;
begin it well and serenely, with too high a spirit
to be cumbered with your old nonsense.



This new day is too dear,
with its hopes and invitations,
to waste a moment on the yesterdays.” 

        This is a little long for my introductory quote, but the whole poem spoke to me such that I couldn't just pull out a part of it. So......today is the first day of MY new year.  I do need to speak of yesterday, because it was such a wonderful day!  I was taken to lunch by my good friends, Debby and Raymond Pitts.
Jay and Debby
They took me to the Press Cafe, one of the new restaurants off of the Chisholm Trail area. Great lunch and then we split one of their HUGE cookies!

The Press Cafe (obviously!)
Then in the evening, my daughter Marti, granddaughter Kathleen, and SIL Graham took me to dinner at  La Madeleine's, another favorite of mine...great soups, sandwiches and salads!  And  I had a birthday coupon for a birthday dessert which we all shared! My grandkids have traditionally since they could put pencil to paper made birthday cards for their grandparents and today was no exception.  I rec'd a handmade card from Kathleen as well as a very appropriate card and gift certificate from Graham and Marti.

Graham, Kathleen, Marti, and Jay
    Earlier in the day, I had a text from my sweet grandson who is a Freshman at University of Arkansas, a phone call from daughter Andrea in McKinney, and all day long I received pings announcing messages on FB, text messages and emails  from family and friends from all over!!! And one very special email from Heifer International!


Andrea had contacted me earlier in the week to see if I would mind if she sent me a gift by way of this wonderful organization, Heifer International which sponsors third world country individuals by gifting them with basic needs which hopefully help with ongoing successes.... a flock of geese, a calf, sheep, etc. I, of course, said "yes".  I love getting gifts, but really, what do I need?? Nothing in the material sense so I am going to encourage more gifting of this nature!  
     Here is a copy of their mission statement and I have created a link I hope you can use if you wish.

"Founded in 1944, Heifer Project International is a sustainable development organization that works to end hunger and poverty and protect the earth. Through livestock, training and Passing on the Gift, Heifer has helped 15.5 million families in more than 125 countries improve their quality of life and move toward greater self-reliance. Heifer helps build strong communities because each project participant Passes on the Gift of their animal's first female offspring, training in its care and in sustainable agriculture to another family in need, multiplying the benefit."

And so...one last thought on this first day of the rest of my life!!!!


     






4 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday Jay!! It looks like it was truly a marvelous day spent with some great friends and remembrances too from your children and grandchildren!! You are well Loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. second try. I hope this coming year is filled with glorious things, and the stress of "too much to do" will be a thing of the past. Happy belated Birthday, SB

    ReplyDelete