Friday, November 11, 2016

Hope

“When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” 
― Paulo CoelhoThe Alchemist

   
         Tonight I went to my church to be in community with people of like minds.  This is the weekly meeting of the Buddhist meditation group which I have been considering attending for several months but just hadn't gotten around to it! There had been an invitation to come this evening to meditate and share.
         There must have been 30-35 people in attendance...only about five were of the original meditation group. It was a very multigenerational group....from young adults to the octogenarians like me!  Our minister Shari led the  group, first in a lighting of the chalice; then in song.  After that, we sat in meditative silence for 15 minutes!  It is very mesmerizing to sit that silent for that long.
         Then Shari passed out notecards and asked that we answer how ever we wished, two questions: 1. "What breaks your heart?" 2. "What gives you hope?"  Then after requesting everyone to be respectful and listening to each, we went around the circle to give our thoughts...first one question, then around again with answers to the second.
        I don't know how most people feel about their church, and 30-35 may not sound like many to some, but we are a small congregation...small but mighty!!!  I am so proud and thankful to be a part of these people, my church family.  The responses were all the way from sheer despair to rage over the state of affairs we face. (N0w, I haven't forgotten I am not discussing politics, and I'm sticking to that so no names mentioned!)  Very emotional for all!
       Then the responses to the second question: hope...which if you have noticed, that is the theme of my quotes!  Again very emotional and yet uplifting!  We are a people of love and optimism so I left feeling much better about where I am in all this mess!  My personal response of Hope was that "This too shall pass"! And then we ended with a rousing rendition of two favorites..."We Shall Overcome" and "This Land Is My Land"!
        I so enjoyed the time together that I am going to try to get to the Meditation meetings more often.  I like a great deal of Buddhist thinking, not all but the teaching of meditation is certainly one I can really get into.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jay. I'm very glad that Shari held the circle and that people were able to be in community in this confusing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was really great...pretty emotional but good!

      Delete
  2. Testing, testing.....I appreciate that you share your thoughts. And you are right, we feel more like a family than a congregation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby...you came through loud and clear!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing. There is hope in our hearts that we can be better then we are and that our country will come out stronger in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jay, it seems like forever we were making our bet about the world series, right?! I'm ready to make good on my two fat quarters. Is there any chance I can wrangle an invite to a creative crones meeting to turn them over? Mary
    P.S. Like the Coehlo quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary...happier times for sure! We are meeting a week from Monday, the 21st at Cabbage Rose (new location) at 10 if you want to drop by....love to see you!

      Delete
    2. I think I can. Marking my calendar. Thanks Jay!

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Jay. I am so very sorry I had to miss the healing meeting last night.

    ReplyDelete