Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year!

Hope smiles from the threshold of the year to come, whispering, 'It will be happier.' Alfred Lord Tennyson

A new year is upon us!
     This is the first day of the rest of all of our lives!  What are we going to do with this year? Do you make resolutions?  I kind of do....informally.  It is a time to reflect on the past and a time to look into the future....neither of which we really have a lot of control over. You cannot change the past and you can only hope to improve and enjoy the new year.

      Last night I celebrated the new year in with some of my friends...I only had to walk around to the other side of the building and I was there...pretty safe trip!!  We played charades, ate, drank and laughed ourselves silly!  Joy had asked me to come up with one of the lists of songs, books, etc. for our charades. One of the topics she wanted a list for was quotes.  That was the toughest one for me.  Now, I love quotes...you may have noticed I begin each blog with a quote.  But to come up with quotes that could be acted out...without saying a word?  Well, I googled "favorite quotes", "famous quotes" and came up with many I didn't think would work for charades but are worthy of noting so I decided to share them here...too good to waste!!

1. "Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest!"-Mark Twain

2. "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them more!"-Oscar Wilde

3. "When I was a boy, I was told anyone can become President. Now I am beginning to believe it!"-I would like to say this quote was made this past election, but it was said by Clarence Darrow..and I couldn't find out just who he may have been referring to...presidents during his lifetime..Arthur, Cleveland, McKinley, T. Roosevelt, Taft, Wilson, Harding, Coolidge, Hoover, and FDR. If anyone has an idea of which he is speaking of, I'd love to know!

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Jay and Andrea and the rest of your family! Love from Susan and Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Jay!
    When you have time would you forward Beth Garbers mailing address to me? I have more spools for her and I want to make sure she gets them this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I clean/declutter for New Year's. I save resolutions for Lent (because it ends!). Thanks for another good read Jay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to let you practice or whatever with some of my clutter. I usually do it when I am getting my tax stuff together, because a great deal of it is paper work.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Jay! Love your quotes - in your blogs and these as well :) Keep 'em coming!!!

    ReplyDelete