Tuesday, May 9, 2017

May Meeting

"Have no fear of perfection; you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

     Yesterday my art buddies and I met at my house.  The first thing we did was to show our challenges given to us by Kay last meeting.  This is a very appropriate challenge because the Kimbell is hosting an exhibit of Louis Kahn's work until June sometime.
A picture of the Kimbell Art Gallery of Fort Worth
Our challenges are to be inspired by the work either by color or some element to design.  This one screams out to something in neutrals with strong perspective.

Step one of my challenge
I am inspired by a picture I took last week of windows at the International Quilt Study Center and Museum that I visited in Lincoln, Nebraska. 

On my design wall
Making more sections
Back to the "drawing board" as they say!
My final with the picture that I took
I still have some hand stitching to do...turn the binding over and sew down and a bit more on the art itself.

Here are the challenges that others made.

Heather's
Wendy"s
Michelle's
Kay's
Bethany's

Then we spent the rest of the day making a small art quilt collage using a technique inspired by Deborah Boschert who has a book out about many other techniques for Art Quilt Collages.  

Deborah's Book
     We first painted the edges of our 4 X 4 canvases (an example of one of the painted canvases is the the top of the picture). Then we created our backgrounds and added to it, using fused fabric which we ironed on. Then we began doing some embellishments with hand stitching.  Here are the ones we worked on....none of them are finished...one of our "assignments" for our next meeting is to bring them back, finished. When all the stitching is done, they will be glued to the canvases then can be hung up using just a straight pin.

Our mini art collages...4" x 4"
 

2 comments:

  1. It was such a fun day! I love the little collages. I need to make some more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your piece reminds me of a pipe organ. Very nice I always enjoy seeing what the creative cronies are up to. 😄
    Mary

    ReplyDelete