Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Challenge #79-Citius, Altius, Fortius

Challenge # 79-Citius, Altius, Fortius
This week, the Diva had a guest Challenger.. Rho Densmore who selected the up coming Olympics for her challenge...specifically the Olympics motto...."Citius, Altius, Fortius" translated "Faster, Higher, Stronger"!  I chose to design the rings...also including an Olympic event in honor of the swimmers in my own family, particularly my grandson and his dad....who knows what the future may hold????

This piqued my interest so I did a little research and found out some interesting facts about the Olympics:


The motto was proposed by Pierre de Coubertin on the creation of the International Olympic Committee in 1894. De Coubertin borrowed it from his friend Henri Didon, a Dominican priest who, amongst other things, was an athletics enthusiast. The motto was introduced in 1924 at the Olympic Games in Paris.

A more informal but well known motto, also introduced by De Coubertin, is "The most important thing is not to win but to take part!" De Coubertin got this motto from a sermon by the Bishop of Pennsylvania during the 1908 London Games.

The five Olympic rings represent the five continents involved in the Olympics and were designed in 1912, adopted in 1914 and debuted at the 1920 Antwerp Olympics.

The symbol of the Olympic Games is composed of five interlocking rings, coloured blue, yellow, black, green, and red on a white field. This was originally designed in 1912 by Baron Pierre de Coubertin, the founder of the modern Olympic Games. Upon its initial introduction, de Coubertin stated the following in the August, 1912 edition of Olympique:
"The emblem chosen to illustrate and represent the world Congress of 1914...: five intertwined rings in different colours - blue, yellow, black, green, and red - are placed on the white field of the paper. These five rings represent the five parts of the world which now are won over to Olympism and willing to accept healthy competition."


According to De Coubertin the ring colours with the white background stand for those colors that appeared on all the national flags of the world at that time.







11 comments:

  1. Your Olympic rings are beautiful. The tangles you chose fit perfectly, and the addition of the swimmer is a really nice touch. I appreciate all the facts you shared about the beginning of the Olympics, and I find it interesting that the different challenges often "challenge" us in more than just our art; but to learn more about the world in which we live. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Linda...the challenges do make me want to "find out more"!!!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed seeing your ZIA and your extra information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your texture and tangles work beautifully in this ZIA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful feeling of the Olympics in your tile....love the added swimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your rings! I have a physical therapist who says I'm a sewing athlete. We need our own olympics. How fast can I fold fabric?

    Thanks also for putting me on your blog roll.
    I'll be delighted to return the favor.
    Ellen Anne Eddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the little extra! I love the "feeling" the rings gave me. Blue-bubbles in water for swimming events, Yellow, the windows in the athletes dorm buildings, Black, a track for the runners, green mountain, climbing and shooting & hiking and biking(?), Red the "welcome" ceremony with athletes in a row and tons of confetti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gloria! I love your descriptions of my rings!!! Am sure that was all in my subconcious when working on them!!

      Delete
  7. I love your ZIA! The tangles you chose for the rings fit perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice piece! Good luck to the swimmers in your family!

    ReplyDelete