Friday, July 17, 2009

Quilt Show Entries

We had our monthly guild meeting today. Pat Speth was the speaker. She had some pretty neat ideas for interesting borders and although nickel quilts are her thing, she said she is getting ready to put a book together just about borders, using some of her 5" block techniques.

Today was also the day we had to turn in our entry forms for the quilt show in September. I have one completed but for the label, one almost finished except for one little thing on the front and sleeve and label, and one quilt just barely begun....my group quilt from the studioQ gals...but I have most of the things ready for it and in my head so I pretty much know what I am going to do with it.

Here's a picture of the two that are mostly ready to go!
The first one is "Inner City"...the English paper pieced quilt I did earlier this spring. And the second is for our quilt challenge...a quilt with a log cabin block somewhere in it. We are going to have quite a few I think....many traditional and several more of the art quilt variety. I am calling mine "Some Assembly Required". I had the idea to have a scene with a log cabin in a log cabin border, then there was a cartoon in the paper by "Shoe" that had a sign "Log Cabin for Sale" with only woods showing...when one of the characters questioned "No log cabin"...he was told to look at the small print "some assembly required"!! I am going to make a small sign on mine also to nail to one of my trees!
My scholarship committee met Monday and picked out two recipients from our 13 applications! That was a record number of applicants....we went for the two who seemed to show the most need as well as merit and dedication to subject....one girl from Bedford majoring in photography and one girl from Houston majoring in antimation. I am anxious to see how they do....their applications were wonderful!!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! I LOVE this "Some Assembly Required" quilt. It is really great!! of course I love all your work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful quilts Jay~!!~ Some Assembly Required is my favorite; not only is it a wonderful quilt but it makes me laugh a little too~!!~

    :)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete