Tuesday, October 16, 2018

NTAQ October Meeting

The best time to make friends is before you need them. (Ethel Barrymore)
     The above quote surely meaningful for the eight of us who gather to do, explore, and admire art together....oh, and eat together! Most of us have been together over ten years!

Here are five of us...two absent and I am taking the pic...at the gallery.
      Yesterday, we met at the FWCAC (Fort Worth Community Arts Center) to view the newest works of art on display there. The title of the show is HOMEFIRES: A special presentation by seven homegrown artists. (Go to this link for more information about the show and the artists' themselves.)  One of our own NTAQ members, Wendy Hook, is one of the featured artists.  I have shown Wendy's work often here on my blog...she is so fabulous!
Wendy with one of her many quilts on display!                                                                                   
Wendy, pointing out a design feature to us
One of Wendy's and a couple works by others
     After we enjoyed the show, we met at Wendy's for our monthly "show" of what we had been doing.  I had missed the September meeting as had a couple of others, so we also brought our challenges for that month.  Before that we had visited the  Takashi Murakami exhibit at the Modern of FW so we were to do something reflecting on that exhibit, "The  Octopus Eats Its Own Leg".
Our Murakami Challenge
Andrea...lots of octopi legs!
Kay..a shibori Octopus leg!

Wendy
Bethany
Wendy
Mine...I used "cheater cloth" I had purchased a long time ago and
finally found a use for it!
Rhonda..got creative with paint!
All of our Murakami's together
     Then we also showed our challenges for October... A Picasso.."The Birdcage".

October Challenge
Rhonda
Kay
Wendy
Bethany
Andrea
All the "Birdcage" Challenges together
     Only five had their challenges ready for show...Heather has been traveling quite a bit but did show what she had done at a class with Maria Shell, a fiber artist and friend, in British Columbia.

Heather with work from class
Heather with another quilt from class
    I had not done the challenge either as I had been busy working on a  lectern hanging for my church for fall....
Fall lectern hanging
And I really want to get back to a couple of large things I have been working on for a long time!!! One is my quilt I started at Alegre last spring when Andrea and I went to Katie Pasquini Masopust's class "Fractured Landscapes Quilts".  It is pretty much as it was when I came home with it and I am determined to spend some quality time finishing it!!! Notice, I did not set a specific deadline! Here is where I am with it!
The picture I am using for my landscape...a natural ampitheater  near
Abiqui, New Mexico...Georgia O'Keeffee area!
I call these guys "The Sentinels!"
My fractured landscape
Katie's book and my working copy of my landscape
Finally unpacked the fabric I had taken with me...ready to have at it again!!

2 comments: