Monday, May 14, 2018

It has been awhile! Busy! Busy! Busy!

“Have you noticed that even the busiest people are never too busy to take time to tell you how busy they are?”  ― Bob Talbert
     I like the above quote...says it all...here I am blogging when there are a million and one things I should be doing!  But in the "choices of what to do today", writing my in my blog is one of my choices.  I have decided to suspend my "Memory Mondays" and concentrate more on my art. I was writing my memories more for my kids than anything and I will still do that but not as a blog.
     So one of the reasons I have gotten busy is because of my involvment with SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) and I have had a few travels in the month of April that kept me from blogging.  I have no excuse for March...no idea what kept me so busy! So here goes....a "catch up blog"!

SAQA Conference "TEXtiles" in San Antonio:
     My daughter Andrea and I went to SA the first week in April for the Annual Conference.  Previous to that, I had volunteered to be one of three Reps for Texas Region.  Within the state we have five "Circles" which are local meetings in different regions of the state.  At the conference, I attended two days of meetings just for the reps from all over to get together, learning more about SAQA and about what our obligations as Reps are...met several great people from all over, other States, Canada, Central America, etc.
I am in the far right, listening intently to another rep speaking!
The conference was not all meetings...we had a lot of fun time too!  We took a boat cruise one evening...really fun especially for those from other places who had never been to  San Antonio!
Andrea, Me and another North Texas SAQA, Rhonda getting ready for our cruise.
One of the many bridges on the River..I love SA!!!
The Drury Hotel-where the conference was held..great location..
right on the Riverwalk!
The TEXtiles Conference was where my quilt of my last blog was on display at the hotel where we stayed.  Here it is with a few others from Texas.

"Century Plant"
My friend, Heather Pregger's quilt
Quilt by Connie Marie Mahrion
And another friend, Deborah Boschert.
Another friend, Carolyn Skei
A quilt by Gay Young from the Caprock circle
A quilt by Debra Goley who will also appear in my next blog.
Sherri McCauley, one of the other Texas Reps
     Then it was back to business!  Here are a couple of pics from the General Assembly.

Listening to one of the programs..there were a little under 200 members present.
Andrea, Rhonda and I are about in the center with our backs to the camera.

Rhonda and Andrea...really enjoying themselves!
Other activities at the Conference were "Lightening Talks" whereby each speaker showed 20 slides with only 20 seconds per slide thus the name!  Always a big hit and enjoyed by all.  Andrea and I also gave a "Talk" but as we are not nearly as "professional" as many of the speakers, we decided to just tell of some of our jouneys together, art quilt related.  We were the last to present so we decided to end with a humorous talk...it would either be a disaster or a hit!  Fortunately everyone seemed to realize we were just having fun!!
We also had some great programs to choose to go to as well as a terrific keynote speaker,  Jane Dunnewold.
Jane Dunnewold-Art quilter, teacher, and writer
One afternoon we had some free time so Andrea, Rhonda, and I went to the Briscoe Western Art Museum and to lunch at the Iron Cactus...I had the best quesdillas ever!


My next blog....coming soon ...will be about our other April/May trip!

2 comments:

  1. Loved this blog entry, Jaye! I went to San Antonio for the first time to teach for their FASA fiber group, with Susie Monday being my keeper, exactly 2 years ago. I got to go to the Riverwalk with her, as she used to be a SA tour guide! I love that city, too! Wow!
    Thanks for all of your coverage of the SAQA conference, too! Love, Lucky / Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could have come to the conference! It was really fun! I think I am going to save up for Toronto in 2020!

      Delete