Monday, February 5, 2018

Memory Monday


"Marriage is the highest state of friendship. If happy, it lessens our cares by dividing them, at the same time that it doubles our pleasures by mutual participation. "

     It is 1964; we have been married about six weeks; we are in our cozy little apartment in the middle of winter in Reno, Nevada.  Such a beautiful winter!  There is a fresh coating of snow on everything.  Reno is in the Sierra Nevadas and the Truckee River runs right through town.  We go walking at night, in the snow.  There is a bridge over the Truckee not far from where we live.  A special memory, standing on that bridge, watching the snow fall into the water which is really raging below us.
The Truckee River-Reno, Nevada
      I had never cooked much before we were married but Dick was very encouraging as I practiced on him!  Except for one time...I made a coconut pie which was one of his favorites.  He tasted it and said it was pretty good but not quite as good as what his mom made!  Well, to a newly wed, that was not the most tactful thing he could have said.  I wasn't angry...but my response to him was..."I am very fond of your mom, but don't ever compare my cooking to hers!"  And he never did again!  She is a really good cook, but over the years, I became pretty good myself.
     It is February 9, 1964.  Do you remember what happened that night?  The Beatles were in America on the Ed Sullivan Show!!  And we had our first party!  Some of the guys from the base who worked with Dick at Shakey's and their girl friends/wives.  

The Beatles with Ed Sullivan
The first song they sang was "I Want to Hold Your Hand" .  If you would like to get a taste of the show click on the song name which will take you to a youtube film of them and on the side you will see more links to more songs.  We had a great time until the neighbors complained about the noise...and everyone had to go to work the next day, so the party broke up pretty early.

2 comments:

  1. Memories what a wonderful thing we were blessed with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was not a good cook and my husband’s mom was worse. I had no incentive to be a good cook myself.

    ReplyDelete