Monday, January 15, 2018

NTAQ January Meeting

“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.” 
― Pablo Picasso

    My NTAQ Art bunch met today...as always, a real boost to share our creativity with each other.  Our challenge this month was a painting by Georges Braque "The Echo".  It is an abstract picture with some definable objects.  Our challenges are not necessarily to interpret the pictures exactly but to use the shapes and colors as inspirations to create something original. Here is the picture on my design wall with my work.  It is not one of my favorites but since I rushed it together I guess it will do.  I was working most  of the day and night yesterday getting my "Century Plant" finished so I only spent from 10:00 to Midnight last night on the challenge!

Georges Braque/ Jaye
And here are the ones done by the others:

Bethany
Wendy
Kay
Heather
We had a couple people not able to be at the meeting....here is a picture of all the challenges together
Michelle's is upper left...I didn't get an individual pic of hers

     Then we had our "show and tell" of other works! Kay had really been busy since our last meeting.

Kay says this was done "just for fun"!
Kay added the circles after finishing the quilt, feeling it needed a little something more!
A small work Kay brought to get some suggestions on what to do with  the background.
This is a sea turtle Kay did as a reminder of her recent trip to Hawaii
     Bethany had been busy doing some ice dyeing:     


Bethany plans to leave this as a whole cloth quilt and add stitching
      Wendy had a most spectacular quilt to show....the backs of her quilts are alway as wonderful as the fronts!!
The front
The back
    And I showed my Century Plant.  I had originally planned on entering this in a show in South Texas named "Life on the Rio Grande".  I didn't get it finished by the deadline...so I am now going to get it finished to enter in the SAQA Conference Texas Only SAQA members' show in April.

My "Century Plant"
It is not quite finished....I need to quilt the borders and stitch down a few of the blooms that I haven't done yet.  I also took several pictures on the process of this quilt as I did a few things that I had not done before and plan to write a blog on that.  So I am not going into much detail on how I did this one.
     And the meeting ended with lunch, conversation and lots of laughter, as always!

2 comments:

  1. I like your century plant quilt! It makes a definitive Texas statement. You picked good subject matter - such an interesting plant. And it's always good to see the work of your fiber arts group.

    ReplyDelete