Wednesday, September 6, 2017

I Am a Latent Hippy! (Maybe?)

“All things old become new again. In my youth the athletes had crew cuts and the hippies had long hair. Now the athletes have long hair and the hippies are bald.” 
― Harley King


     A few days ago, I came upon a Youtube documentary  about the "Burning Man" , a celebration of life which began in San Francisco in 1986 on Baker Beach with a gathering  of like minded individuals who just wanted to show their love and their unique artistic way of expressing themselves.
An early Burning Man being set up
     What started out as a big party  grew so rapidly, that by 1988 they had to move the event to Black Rock Desert, Nevada with 200 in attendance.  Now Black Rock City has developed as a " temporary metropolis dedicated to community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance. In this crucible of creativity, all are welcome." to quote from the website. One of the founders, Larry Harvey, wrote the Ten Principles in 2004 to reaffirm the original purpose of the Burning Man celebration. And last year there were 67, 290 in attendance.  Because of the popularity, some organizational features came into play. A city structure was developed for the temporary existence of Burning Man.
The City of Black Rock, Nevada
     I have been facsinated with the idea of spending nine  days with crazy artists; with nothing to worry about; to just roll with the flow, ever since I first read of Burning Man in the 1980s.  I watch for their latest events every year around this time.  I even saw a Charlie Rose interview with Larry Harvey.  And I have to say, even in the early development of the Hippy Generation, I was a bit envious of the carefree life which they lived.

My Tribe???
    At the height of Hippism, I was a happily married mother of two and although I harbored a secret envy of this life style...the freedom, the intensity of caring, the proclaiming of peace, etc. I knew deep down, I really wasn't meant for it! I do like my physical comforts...my clean environment, my running water,  my comfortable bed, the opportunity  for a daily shower and clean clothes!  And, oh yes, A/C systems!!  You notice how often the word "clean" crops up in my writing!  I never did associate cleanliness very strongly with communal living!  But I did my own little part....we grew great gardens; we spoke up against the Vietnam War; we tried to live a "green" way of life, although that term was not used then.  And I still do have a sense of admiration for those who choose this way of life...I will enjoy this way of living vicariously, through the internet and Youtube!!!  
      If this subject of the Burning Man interests you, please go back and click on the several links I have given you.
   

3 comments:

  1. I will NOT go to Burning Man with you...although I have known people who have gone...I don't think I'd do well in a dusty tent city wearing goggles and a face mask to keep the dust out of my lungs....maybe one of your grand kids can take you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might notice that I said I would live vicariously to the experience!

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your post Jaye . . I was on the tail-end of the Hippie generation - 14 in 1968 -- and grew up in a conservative family where I was outnumbered & outgunned you might say, so I kept my mouth shut most of the time, contented myself with refusing haircuts soon I was too big to be physically forced, and admired from afar, especially the music. Still do! Thanks for the links on Burning Man, will read up.

    ReplyDelete