Tuesday, August 22, 2017

NTAQ August Meeting

“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.” 
― Albert Einstein

    Last Monday was our monthly NTAQ meeting.  This month we met at Heather's and we played with cutting up paper and glueing it together, using shades of grey, to create the illusion of depth and overlapping.  We also decided to use either these collages or the ones we did in color at Wendy's last month for our challenge for next month...to recreate what we did in paper with fabric.
Our shades of grey collages in paper.
      After we finished our collages, we had our show and tell. Our challenge this month was a painting done by Ferdinand Leger "Woman with a Cat".
August Challenge Piece
My work
I had so many scraps left over that I made a second quilt from this color scheme.
Second quilt from Challenge colors
Heather's
Wendy's
Rhonda's
Bethany's
     After that we did some other showing:
Heather's
Heather's-from a paper collage she had done
Wendy's
Wendy's-the back...her quilts could always be reversible as she does
some great piecing on the backs
Wendy's
Our meetings are an opportunity to learn from each other; to share ideas and to be open to critiquing each others' work.  Last month there was a group consensus (including my own!) that the buttons I used for the flowers were a bit overwhelming so I took it home and redid it with French knots for the flowers.  I personally like it much better with the knots than the buttons.

Last Month's Challenge- Picaso's "Peasants with Flowers"
My last month's challenge with buttons
My revised last month's challenge with French knots
This coming Thursday, Friday, and Saturday,  August 24, 25, and 26 come to the Original Sewing and Quilting EXPO in Arlington at the Convention Center. Five area guilds have gone together to create the North Texas Quilt Festival in place of their individual quilt shows.  This is a first time event which if successful will continue for years to come.  There will be judged quilts, vendors, door prizes, etc.. The SAQA group to which I belong will have an information table there as well as a show of SAQA quilts from all over.  Be sure and stop by...I will be taking classes Thursday and Friday but will be manning the table Saturday from 10:00 -1:00.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the ntaq pics. I like all of the quilts. The french knots look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great summary, Jay! I'm so glad we are both members of NTAQ!

    ReplyDelete