Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Standing on the Side of Right

"General Motors, General Mills, General Foods, general ignorance, general apathy, and general cussedness elect presidents and Congressmen and maintain them in power.” 
― Herbert M. Shelton


     I feel that I may have misled some of you by my last blog and maybe past ones.  Although I am not reading newspapers or listening to most news, I do record the nightly news from PBS and when I watch it, I just fast forward anything I don't want to hear....specific persons whose voices I do not want to hear, etc.  And I am a fan of Charlie Rose on PBS who is very current with what's happening. I also like Washington Week on PBS which I again record.  What I don't buy into is all the FB stuff that is negative, negative, negative!!  Before the election, I was out there signing every petition I could and I was reposting all kinds of stuff!  I am no longer doing that....only posting good stuff. I just wanted to clarify that I don't suffer from the ostrich syndrome...burying my head in the sand (do ostriches really do that?).
     Last night I attended the Stonewall Democrats monthly meeting, the first one of the new year.  I have been to a few other meetings with them but had not joined.  This is a great bunch of folk who really have their hearts and heads in the right place so I joined and am now a card-carrying member of this fine organization.

Merchant logo

     Another reason I went last night was because I knew that a speaker from the local chapter of Moms Demand Action was going to be there.  I have been a member of this organization for a couple of years and believe strongly in what they stand for.

     Last Saturday, the MOMS held a letter-writing campaign which I was not able to attend, so at the meeting last night, I got the info to do so on my own. This campaign is to try to defeat a few bills in the Texas State Government that are very serious to the idea of open carry.  Now, contrary to popular belief, this national organization of MOMS, in conjunction with EVERYTOWN, is not for gun control but for sensible gun use and care. These bills which are being proposed will allow more people to carry  guns in more places with less restrictions than we have now. I am going to spend a little time contacting my legislatures to let them know of my displeasure of these bills.  If anyone who reads this wants more information, just let me know.

      Another website link I got at the Stonewall Meeting was from a site "indybay.org" which has a guide called "Indivisible:A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda".  I am downloading it as I write so haven't read it yet.  It was suggested to me that it has many strategies on how to overcome that person's agenda.

    And I also feel I better rewrite my introduction about no politics!!!

9 comments:

  1. Way to go, Jay! Maintaining your sanity shouldn't be the price of helping the world be a better place! Sounds like you are striking a very good balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn...all we can do is try!!!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Jay. You have such a calm head on your shoulders. I think I will download the resisting the t agenda. Keep us all on a good path!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your attitude and what you are doing. We all should be as active as we can in fighting the Trump menace and the Republican agenda. I have called a few legislators on the national and state levels. I think our opportunities to act will increase as the year goes along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Morris! We just need to be aware and keep calm...but be pro active!!!

      Delete
  4. I am glad you joined Stonewall. Protecting the rights of trans folk is a personal priority.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like a pretty good group to belong with!

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear about your involvement Jay! I think that it's more important than ever to participate in the political process. This looks to be a bumpy ride and it will take every one of us to keep the ship on an even keel....

    ReplyDelete