Wednesday, September 21, 2016

A New Beginning

     It has been several months since I have written on my blog!  All summer as a matter of fact.  I was having quite a bit of trouble trying to get pictures on but I now have a new laptop so hopefully all will go smoothly!
     In my last blog I was writing about the May meeting of studioQ and our current challenge which is to take a masterpiece chosen by one of our members and to create a small art quilt inspired by said work of art.  I decided that as well as showing what we have done, I would show my process of making an art quilt.
Inspiration Picture: The Yerres by Caillebotte
  First to select fabric to use:

Fabric choices
Second-to decide what design format to use- for this one I decided to go with a series of squares to indicate the various areas of color.

beginning of cutting up of MANY squares
Then begins the piecing together of the squares, after placing on my design board to determine the best placement.


Choosing placement
Back and forth I go...from the design wall to the sewing machine...ironing each row before sewing together.
Top part of picture-sewn; lower half-rows lined up ready to be sewed together..

The sewing portion of the quilt is completed; then pressing, backing put on, and quilting started. I chose to just straight line quilt, then facing and adding some hand stitching to create the ripples in the water.
My final work-if you click on the picture to enlarge, you may be able to see the hand stitching.
All of our art quilts are about 15' X 20". Here are some that my fellow studioQ'er have made with the same painting as inspiration.















1 comment: