Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My 100 for the Fiber Artists for a Cause

    I have finally finished!  The Auction for the Fiber Artists for the a Cause donation wall hangings, etc begins February 4 on line.  I had planned to have mine ready for several weeks, but as most of my plans go...it took me a lot longer than I thought it would.
"Cardinal in the Snow"
   While I was thinking about  what to do, there were many pictures of Cardinals in the snow posted on the Internet....I am a big fan of the cardinal so seeing all of these, I was inspired to create a work of art on this theme.  I had put a teaser out there a couple months ago.
My teaser
The fabrics I planned to use and the beads to embellish.

       I began with the white on white fabrics I had been collecting, then added the branches and began quilting. I started with the little circles on the piece which was about 30" x 22"; then did some straight line quilting. I just wasn't very happy with the results so I decided to rip the quilting out and start over. So that evening I sat in front of the TV with my little steam ripper and, in two hours I had torn out about an inch and a half! Consequently, I decided it would be smarter to just start over!!! And, after seeing many of the other artist' works, I realized mine was quite a bit larger. So when I made my second one, I downsized it to a more manageable 12"x16"!
      I still started with the white on white, then did the quilting which I was much happier with, then added the limbs, did the beading (which took quite a bit longer than I thought it would), and put on my little Cardinal.  Here are a couple of close ups:
 


And a couple of the pictures that inspired me!




     And I discovered there are several legends surrounding the cardinal, one of which is when you see a cardinal you are receiving a visit from someone you have lost! I like that thought!!! So please go to the link given in my first paragraph to see even more fabulous art and to participate in the Cause. It is such an honor to be with this prestigious group and to help out with the Cause of finding a cure for cancer!




     



1 comment: